Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Armor and horse terminology


I am currently translating a 15th century treatise by Sicily Herald on the proper running of tournaments and jousts.  It discusses armor and horse harness.  Various pieces of "harness" (for people and horses both) are named.  I can guess what most of these terms mean, and I can find most of them in good dictionaries.  However, it would be nice to have a scholarly treatment (reference work) on this terminology in hand.  Despite the fact that I know a fair number of scholars specializing in military history and a good number of serious re-enactors (including some brilliant armorers) I don't know a good, practical reference work that would help me get the terminology right, and allow me to easily compare Sicily Herald's usage to "standard" terminology.


I know that other people have faced this problem.  Does anyone have a solution?

No comments: